Monday, January 24, 2011

The art of circumlocution

This is what I have learnt these days.....
We are taught differentiation in the classroom. The thing is, there're good and bad points here. If I am going to apply this differentiation thingy. I will rather do implicitly. And sparingly of course! Otherwise, some students like ME will feel 'terluka' plus 'kecik hati' DOUBLE!!! TRIPLE lagi!!!! Nak dibeza-bezakan pulak. But, those people who propose this idea, aren't simply proposing the idea cuz they wanna get famous, right? There're good things about this idea. Teachers need to apply it wisely. So i tell you, being a teacher isn't an easy job. Memang pon!

Ok. This isn't the one I want to highlight actually. Stop beating around the bush, allow me to share about the idea of the title written above.

Honestly, it has to do with my day and my way of writing or perhaps unconscious habit of mine. During my EAP class (English for academic puposes) the other day, my lecturer told us about our essays and the common problem which is REDUNDANCY. Boring but interesting lesson.

WHY?
(Dengan skema aku menjawab...)

This is because:

The lesson was unexceptionally boring cuz we have been told about redundancy several times before. But I am still doing the same thing again and again. Tak sedar okk... Even aku tulis karangan BM pon, it's hard to get rid of redundancy kann.... Tipulah kalau karangan akan jadi tip top after one try. Paling-paling pon dua tiga kali jugak re-edit. Itu pon kalau rajin. Isu rajin dah satu problem. But keep aside dulu isu rajin malas ni. Teacher Shida pon kadang2 malas. Tetibe teacher Shida pulak kena. *Sorry teacher*

Proceed with the interesting part. My lecturer tried to convey her message or maybe 'warning' in a creative way yet cynical by showing us this video:


YES!!!
This video that I've never watched before. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen was taken as an example. Indeed it's an extremely excellent example to show us about wordy language like what we used to do in our essay. But these people using such flowery language and make people admire the way they speak. My essay, for example too wordy because I used too many words to express my thought while there's one word to represent all those words. It used to make me feel "hebat jugak aku nih!" while I am writing cuz I can produce such a long and complex sentences. But the truth is, it's LAME!!

There're so many words exist in the DICTIONARY or THESAURUS and the only thing left to do is NAK atau TAKNAK untuk menyelak helaian KAMUS tersebut SAHAJA!!!

Mahu nangis sekuat hati weyyy.... Macam mane nak improve writing weyyy....

Tengok!
Entry ni saja sudah membuktikan i'm not good at conveying my thought in writing. Aku sedang menjalani fasa perubahan. Sila faham. Kalau ada, sila cari kesalahan tatabahasa dalam post ini.

Tengok-tengok !!


"For a minute there you bored me to death". Kate orang kampung koi "bosan nak mati bace karangan awok!"

Terbukti lecturer sudah fed up nak mati weyyy.... Kejam tanpa belas kasihan ayat tu weyyy... huwaaaa!!! Nangis sekuat hati lagi weyyy....

='(



Sudah!! Taknak menangis lagi. Penat.

Ini interesting. Let me petik-petik the first and last dialogue in this video between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy:

Old English
DARCY: In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. In declaring myself thus I’m fully aware that I will be going expressly against the wishes of my family, my friends, and, I hardly need add, my own better judgement. The relative situation of our families is such that any alliance between us must be regarded as a highly reprehensible connection. Indeed, as a rational man I cannot but regard it as such myself, but it cannot be helped. Almost from the earliest moments of our acquaintance I have come to feel for you a passionate admiration and regard, which despite my struggles has overcome every rational objection, and I beg you, most fervently, to relieve my suffering and consent to be my wife.

New English
Will you marry me? (straight-forward and mungkin berkesan)





Old English
... the mode of your declaration merely spared me any concern on my bla bla bla in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman like manner.

New English
Well, if you hadn't acted like such a d***. (such a long proposal tapi tak berkesan.)

Exactly like my situation.... seddeh~!


Modern English memang terbaik laa eh...?
Simple and concise tapi berkesan-kesan.
Jimat masa.
Semua orang sekarang sibuk.
Lecture pon sibuk!

So, moral of the lesson:

Write concisely and avoid redundancy. If I wish to write long and wordy, please write like Jane Austen and value the art of circumlocution.




3 comments:

  1. Jo dulu pun berbuih buih cakap avoid redundancy. Tapi tak boleh nak elak.

    Mari nanges berjemaah weyh! T__T

    ReplyDelete
  2. kannn... dulu joe. kini lynette...

    marilah berjemaah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wuuu.. kejam nye ur lecturer...huuu

    tabah! la tahzan!

    InsyaAllah we all can do it bebeh! =D

    ReplyDelete